Monday, March 1, 2010

Just musing

     Most of the time when I finish watching a movie I wish it could keep on going so I would know exactly what happens to all the characters fo rthe rest of forever. Seldomn do movies go that far, and when they do it can be traumatic, like Immortal Beloved. However, I just feel like I need all these loose ends to be tied that most movie-makers leave dangling uselessly as the credits begin to roll. I was especially thinking of this while I watched My Girl 1 and 2 on Saturday.
     When I was a kid My Girl was one of my favorite movies, and Veda my favorite character of all times. I think she ranks pretty high to this day. I was just like her at that age, full of spunk and tenacity, wise beyond my years. I wanted to be her, and mostly I was. People would even tell me I looked like "the little girl from My Girl", and that was perhaps the best compliment my 7 year old ears had ever heard. With so much potential, there was no doubt in my mind that Veda would be going places and I would be trotting along behind her, eagerly awaiting the next adventure. But there never was a My Girl 3, and maybe I can blame that fact on losing my way. For even a headstrong girl with such radiance needs encouragement and a firm hand to guide her along the rougher terrain.
     So maybe it's better that they didn't make a third. Because for all we know, Nick (My Girl 2 love interest) could have convinced Veda to move to California where she fell in with the wrong crowd. She might have started off right, but some whim (as often comes to girls of our nature) probably pulled her off the Ivy League path toward some uncertain adventure. Before she can blink twice she's down to her elbows in soapy dishes and up to her ears with regret, listening to a crying baby in the background and staring listelessly out the window wondering if Nick will even be home tonight. What-Might-Have and What-Should-Have-Been are relentlessly gnawing at her ankles and whispering their angry, hateful words behind her back.
      I suppose Hollywood-Folk know that movie magic can only take you so far before the characters must be thrown into the real world, and that rarely makes for a heart-warming story. Still, I can't help but wonder if somewhere out in Movieland Veda is living the life of our childhood dreams, or suffering a fate similar to the rest of us. I'm not sure which outcome would make me feel better.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Opinions, Suggestions, Reactions... Take it away!